Wednesday, February 11, 2009

VIRAHA AND MAHABHAVA

Oh! immense is the suffering that arises from Viraha or the feeling of separation from God. It is said that when Rupa and Sanatana' sat under a tree in that state, the very leaves of it used to get scorched 1 I was almost unconscious for three days while in that state !

1 These were two of the foremost disciples of Lord Chaitanya. They built the famous shrine of Govindaji in Brindavan.

I could not move, and I lay in one spot. When I became a little conscious, Brahmanil would take me to bathe; but she could not touch my skin. The whole body was covered with a thick cloth, and she held me by placing her hands over the cloth. The earth with which the body was smeared got burnt! When that state came, I used to feel as if a big spear had been passed through my spine. I would cry out at times that I was dying. But it was always followed by intense beatific feeling.

Mahabhava is the supreme God-consciousness; it brings about a terrible commotion both in the body and the mind, as if a mighty elephant enters into a small hut and shakes it furiously, sometimes even breaking it to pieces. There is as much bliss after that state, as there is suffering before it.

Seja o primeiro a comentar

Post a Comment

  ©Ramakrishna Parables. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO